With the summer literally around the corner, a myriad of different events, from music festivals to marathons will soon begin too. Tour and activity companies should keep an eye on these events as they provide a great platform to promote your products to a larger audience.
These events usually bring in participants, family members and spectators from all over the world and these extra visitors are potential customers who might plan to spend a few more days exploring your destination. Equally, it’s great customer service to let customers know that these events are happening. For example, imagine “Britney" from America books a trip six months in advance but decides to book her accommodation closer to departure and then finds that all the B&Bs and hotels are booked up. She really would’ve appreciated the heads up.
These events are also great partnership opportunities to market your tour or activity. Often they have tented villages where you can have a stall to promote and advertise your products offline. Online, you can create a special deal that goes on the event website along with a discount for participants or ticket holders.
To help you stay on top of all these events, we’ve put together a list of key events are happening in Britain this season.
- 3rd-4th of June: Keswick Beer Festival, Keswick
- 4th of June: Helensburgh & Lomond Highland Games, Helensburgh
- 4th-5th of June: UCI Bike World Cup, Scotland
- 11st of June: Isle of SkyeHalf Marathon, Portree
- 11st-12nd of June: Field Day, London
- 12nd of June: The Great North Swim, Lake Windermere in Cumbria
- 17th-19th of June: GoldCost Oceanfest, Devon
- 17th-19th of June: Beverley Folk Festival, East Yorkshire
- 18th of June: The Canal Festival and Raft Race, Edinburgh
- 22nd-26th of June: Glastonbury Festival, Pilton
- 27th-28th of June: British Eventing and Ironman 70.3, Exmoor National Park
- 27th-10th of July: Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships, London
- 2nd of July: Formula E, London
- 7th-9th of July: 2000trees 2016, Cotswold Hills
- 8th-10th of July: T in the Park Music Festival, Strathallan Castle
- 9th-10th of July: Tewkesbury Medieval Festival, Tewkesbury
- 16th of July: Big Sea Swim 2016, Eastbourne Seafront
- 17th of July: Stonehaven Highland Games, Stonehaven
- 17th-23th of July: Kelso Civic Week 2016, Kelso
- 21st-24th of July: International Music Festival, Liverpool
- 28th-31st of July: Cambridge Folk Festival, Cambridge
- 28th-31st of July: Kendal Calling, Penrith
- 30th-31st of July: St. Annes Kite Festival, St. Annes Beach
- 30th-5th of August: West Highland Yachting Week, Craobh, Oban and Tobermory
- 1st-7th of August: Isle of Wight The Robin Hood Festival, Nottinghamshire
- 6th-13th of August: Cowes Week Sailing Regatta, Aberdeen
- 5th-29th of August: Edinburgh Festival Fringe, Edinburgh
- 6th-7th of August: Total Warrior, The Lake District
- 6th of August: The Aboyne Games, Aboyne
- 11st-14th of August: Boomtown Fair 2016, Winchester
- 11st-14th of August: Bristol International Balloon Fiesta, Bristol
- 16th-17th of August: British Firework Championships, Plymouth
- 25th-28th of August: Creamfields, Liverpool
- 26th-29th of August: Summer Nights, Wollaton
Here are a few things to consider when partnering up with an event organiser to promote your tours or activities:
- How big is this event expected to be? For larger events, you will probably have to fork out a bit of cash to promote your tourism company.
- Who does this event or festival target? Do they align with your target market?
- Do you have a booking and payment solution that allows you to accept bookings and payments anywhere?
- How will you stay on top of your inventory while you're out of the office? The last thing you want to have is the problem of overbooking. A good problem but probably not the best for your brand.
What did you think of this article? Which events are you looking forward to? Let us know in the comments below.
Interested in a booking and payment solution that allows you to sell your tours anywhere and at anytime? Why not give TrekkSoft a try? It was created for business owners like you.
Written by Olan O'Sullivan
Olan is our VP of Marketing and the regional manager for the UK and Ireland.