While the tours and activities sector has been very quick to create and share content around the pandemic, it can get a little overwhelming. Here, you'll find a list of pandemic-free content, games and activities for you and your family to enjoy.
Cool websites to check out:
- Ling's cars - A personal and business car leasing company with really outrageous and fun branding.
- I Miss The Office - This well-designed site brings back memories of when we used to work in offices... Remember those?
Videos and live streams:
- Some Good New by John Krasinski - A YouTube channel started by actor John Kransinski from The Office where he shares some much needed good news.
- Massimo Bottura on Instagram - Master chef Massimo Bottura has posted regular Instagram videos teaching us how to make staple Italian dishes at home.
- Stream theatre shows for free - From ballets to plays to musicals to the Cirque du Soleil, there are a tonne of theatres organising free live streams for audiences around the world.
- Watch your favourite artists perform live - Check out live from home performances from Chris Martin, Death Cab For Cutie, Neil Young, the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, John Legend and more.
Museums, zoos and the like:
- Virtual tours of museums - Ever wondered what an empty Tate Modern would be like? Here's your chance to find out.
- The Shedd Aquarium on Twitter - The Shedd let its penguins explore the museum and they've brought us along for the ride. Yes, you've read this entire sentence correctly.
- Michelin Guide on Instagram - The Michelin Guide has started a #MichelinGuideAtHome series on Instagram where they share recipes from top restaurants around the world.
Games and activities:
- Houseparty App - Take video calls to the next level with different games like trivia, "Heads Up" and more.
- Virtual Pub Quiz - This virtual pub quiz has become incredibly popular. Check out their Facebook page for links to new quizzes and weekly updates.
- Universal Paperclips - Make and sell paperclips to learn about supply, demand, and capitalism from this very very basic game.
- The McDonald's Videogame - Find out what it really takes to run a McDonald's from this free game.
Fun things for children:
(I reached out to friends working in education to help me with this section.)
- Children's Authors Read Aloud - This is a huge list of authors reading their children's books and running activities online.
- The Deep Sea - Explore the ocean and learn about all the creatures under the sea. This is a fun site to checkout with kids.
- The Smithsonian - The Smithsonian has published activities for kids and teenagers to learn about arts, culture, science and nature.
- Innovative Development Directorate - I couldn't help myself but to include some educational resources vetted and used my education professionals around the world.
- 7 Podcasts for kids by the New York Times - If you'd like to have a break from the screen, here's a good selection of podcasts for your children.
- Audible stories - Free stories till schools reopen
- Storyline Online - Get some of the world's most talented actresses to read to your children.
- DK Find Out - A website filled with quizzes, fun facts and games.
- Imagination Soup - Check out this huge list of resources for parents to help their kids out with online learning at home.
- Read Brightly - Reading resources sorted by age.
Multi-player boardgames that are now available online: