Being a tour guide is one of the most rewarding jobs in the world. You get to do for a living what others only get to do on vacation, you get to meet amazing people from all over the world and you get to marvel at some awe-inspiring sites on a daily basis. But that doesn’t mean to say it’s easy…
Since the majority of businesses in the tourism industry are business-to-consumer (B2C) companies, they need to advertise more. Which means most of them can forget about LinkedIn since it’s almost exclusively a business-to-business (B2B) platform.
But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t still have a presence there.
You know that it’s great to meet your peers at trade shows and conferences to let people know you exist. You attend them maybe once or twice a year, right? Well, your LinkedIn activity can get your name and business in front of the right eyes on a weekly basis. To do this, you have to remain active, so here are six ways you can do it.
Every year in the marketing world, particularly in the land of social media, there’s a buzzword that everyone is talking about. For the last 18 months its been Snapchat, but that bubble is slowly bursting with Instagram and Facebook cloning its offering for each of their platforms.
This has paved the way for the ‘next big thing’. I can now inform you that this latest big thing is influencer marketing – the act of engaging with a digital influencer i.e. somebody who has a blog with a lot of traffic or a large social media following on one or multiple channels.
If you’re thinking of engaging in this type of marketing in 2017, you should first of all read my post on how to get noticed by influencers as well as my other post on working with travel bloggers. Once you have, here are seven ways you can collaborate with influencers to increase awareness and sales for your business...
We live in a world of livestreaming. We have done for a while in fact, particularly when it comes to social media thanks to apps like Meerkat (which is now no more) and Twitter’s Periscope.
But, unsurprisingly, the most popular place to livestream in 2017 is also the most popular social network – Facebook. Using Facebook Live, you can stream from anywhere about (almost) anything. It’s also a great way of generating organic reach on Facebook. Something which, a lot of you probably know, can be very difficult.
One of the things I love about working in social media is having a career in a space that is forever changing. This keeps me on my toes and makes my day-to-day job a lot more interesting.
This means that year-on-year there are always lots of trends I need to know about. Since you’re a tour or activity provider, social media is key to your business growing which means you need to know about these trends too.
Now that 2017 is officially underway, its safe to predict the five key trends we’ll see develop in social media over the next 12 months.
Ask anybody in the travel industry what’s unique about their offering and most will refer to the quality of their product, be it a hotel or a tour, or the destination. Both answers would be completely right in their own right, as both are referring back to their product. But there’s another product that makes your tour and/or activity unique – your team.
While social media is an extremely effective form of marketing, there’s something that always surprises me: the number of businesses I encounter that don’t monitor their social media activity’s performance!
Every now and then I ask people who run consumer-facing businesses what they think their most effective social network is. I’d say around 70% of these people say Facebook. The other 30% is evenly split between Twitter and Instagram.
Social media is an extremely powerful way to market your business. Whether it’s joining a fast-paced Twitter chat, sharing an awe-inspiring photo to Instagram or streaming live video on Facebook, channels such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are great ways for us to reach a wider audience.