If you have a hiking or trekking business, your selling point will be time spent outdoors, exploring the mountains and taking in spectacular views. Yet in order to market your outdoor activities, you need to be constantly optimizing your business's online presence.
Ask yourself these questions, highlight areas for growth, and spend more time away from your desk with booked-up tour groups.
1. Is your hiking business online and mobile-optimized?
It couldn't be more important to have a website that both promotes your tours and provides an integrated booking system. Your website should be a one-stop shop that allows customers to:
- browse your hikes and treks
- book and pay for a tour, or adjust bookings
- contact you with queries
You also want to make sure your website is mobile-optimized: don't put faith in tourists packing a laptop for their hiking trip.
By making it as easy as possible for customers to book your tours, bookings will roll in.
2. Are you using visual content to promote your treks?
Think about the appeal of your hiking and trekking tours. What are the panoramas, landmarks and photo spots that excite your customers?
Show these off on your website through photos and videos - don't just leave it to your text content. If you have a range of professional photos of your tours available, your marketing becomes so much easier.
For some practical tips to get started with, you can take a look at our complete visual content marketing guide.
3. When did you last work on SEO?
SEO, or Search Engine Optimization, is all about getting your website to appear as high as possible in search results. You can do this by:
- thinking about what your target customer would search for on Google, and incorporating these keywords into your website content
- creating unique content that hasn't been published elsewhere online
- writing blog posts and landing pages that increase the chance of finding your website through social media and organic searches
4. Are you marketing your tours on social media?
If you have a limited marketing budget, a simple solution is to teach yourself basic social media marketing skills.
Share photos and information about your tours on Facebook and Twitter and help customers stay in touch with your business and recommend your tours to friends.
By having a great presence on social media, your website will also get SEO perks, increasing the chances of your tours being discovered on Google. To get started, you can read expert advice on creating a social media strategy here.
Learn how to market your business the right way with our free ebook!